Feeling good and getting ready for a beach wedding in June are top of mind- and body- for us right now. We have loved Bulletproof Coffee since we first tasted it a few months ago and were proud to offer it at our last retreat in Malibu! It truly does give us a sort of grounding high if that makes sense, and without the crash.
We asked Dave Asprey, Founder of Bulletproof and Creator of Bulletproof Coffee to share some recipes and insight into becoming “Bulletproof.” Take it away, Dave!
Maybe you’ve heard the buzz about Bulletproof, and you’re ready to learn a little more about how amazing it is to add butter and oil to your coffee! Putting butter in your coffee and forgoing breakfast or eating a diet high in fat might seem unheard of but we assure you, there’s hard science behind it.
Oh yeah – and it’s delicious!
We’ve compiled a delicious day of meals to help get you started on your first day of being Bulletproof: Bulletproof Coffee, of course, plus cauliflower-bacon mash, braised salmon, and chocolate truffle pudding.
Recipe: How To Make Bulletproof Coffee
Are you sick of feeling groggy, foggy and tired when you wake up, and then again in the mid to late afternoon? You’ve met your match.
Bulletproof Coffee – the blended up mix of Upgraded Coffee™, Brain Octane™ Oil, and unsalted grass-fed butter – is wildly popular for a reason. Aside from tasting awesome, it makes you feel energized, focused, and full for hours on end. It allows you to transform your diet without resorting to chewing on sticks of butter (though that’s not a bad idea…).
At least 1-2tbs unsalted grass-fed butter.
1-2tbs of Brain Octane™ or XCT oil™ (these are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil, with no flavor. They are NOT generic MCT oil, which is about 1.6x stronger than coconut oil) and it is good to start with less oil to see how your body handles it. Too much Brain Octane can cause disaster pants so don’t overdo it.
1-2 cups (~250-500ml) of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans (like Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee) using a metal filter (like french press or gold filter drip).
5 Steps To Make Bulletproof Coffee
- #1 Make Coffee: Brew coffee as you normally would. Make sure it’s the right kind of coffee. If you haven’t purchased Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee beans, read this post to find the best coffee in your area. Use a metal filter if possible.
- #2 Pre-heat blender: Boil extra water and pour it into a blender while your coffee brews to pre-heat the blender.
- #3 Froth: Dump out the hot water from the now pre-heated blender and add the brewed coffee, butter, and Brain Octane™ oil. Blend until there is a thick layer of foam on top like a latte. The stronger the blender, the better. A spoon won’t work.
- #4 Optional: Add cinnamon, vanilla, dark chocolate, or a sweetener like Stevia, erythritol, or xylitol (this is technically a sacrilege if you use awesome beans, but some people love their mocha…)
- #5 Enjoy: Put on a satisfied look and enjoy the high performance buzz from your creamy mug of Bulletproof Coffee as you watch your chubby, tired coworkers eat low-fat yogurt and twigs for breakfast. It’s almost unfair.
Oh, and what’s the catch? You will have no excuse for not getting things done now that you’re powered by Bulletproof Coffee.
Serves 2 to 4
You will never miss eating mashed potatoes now that you can have deliciously creamy, bacon-flavored mashed cauliflower instead!
1⁄2 pound pastured, uncured bacon, diced
3⁄4 to 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
4 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Bulletproof Brain Octane oil (or MCT or coconut oil)
1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, lightly cook the bacon over medium-low heat. Do not let it get crispy (keep those fats intact) and do not let the fat smoke. Set the bacon aside and reserve the fat in the pan.
- In a pot fitted with a steamer insert, bring water to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a high-powered blender, blend three-fourths of the cauliflower with the butter, oil, vinegar, and salt to taste. Stir in the bacon and remaining cauliflower. Pulse the mixture until chunky.
- For amazing flavor, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat (as long as it didn’t smoke when you were cooking the bacon at a low temperature).
Braised Indie Salmon
Serves 2, with leftovers
Since I became Bulletproof, I don’t really ever think about bread and gluten, but I used to love the naan bread from Amber India in Silicon Valley, which you could get spiced with nigella seeds. This is my answer to that cool flavor from India. You can find nigella seeds in Indian markets, where it’s often labeled kalonji.
1 leek, well washed and thinly sliced (optional)
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 carrots, finely chopped
5 spears baby asparagus, trimmed and finely chopped
1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk, well shaken
1 head bok choy, cored and chopped
4 wild sockeye salmon fillets (3 ounces each)
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄2 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon Bulletproof Brain Octane oil (or MCT or coconut oil)
- In a medium pot, combine the leek, celery, carrots, and asparagus and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bok choy, salmon, cumin, fennel, mustard seeds, fenugreek, nigella seeds, and sea salt. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Plate and drizzle with the coconut oil and Brain Octane oil.
Shockingly Rich Bulletproof Chocolate Truffle Pudding
Thanks to a generous helping of brain-boosting antioxidants and healthy fats, you can whip up this chocolate pudding for dessert, a quick afternoon pick-me-up – or even a filling on-the-go meal.
(Think, the best chocolate mousse you’ve ever had – without the performance-robbing sugar crash).
Chocolate Truffle Pudding ingredients:
Start with raw, low-toxin Chocolate Powder for an instant energy surge. Then add XCT Oil, coconut milk, grass-fed butter and vanilla for a brain-jumpstarting cocktail of healthy fats and antioxidants:
3/4 Cup Chocolate Powder
4 Cups Full-Fat Coconut Milk, BPA-Free, Divided
1 Tablespoon Grass-Fed Gelatin
2 Teaspoons Bulletproof Vanillamax
4 Tablespoons Grass-Fed Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon XCT Oil
(Optional) 1/4 Cup Macadamia Nuts
Now, the fun part:
- Heat 1 cup of the coconut milk, xylitol, and gelatin in a saucepan over medium heat until dissolved.
- Place the remaining 3 cups of coconut milk in a blender with the vanilla, chocolate powder, butter, and oil. Blend thoroughly.
- Add the hot coconut milk/gelatin mixture to the blender and pulse until mixed, with or without the macadamia nuts.
- And you’re done: Just pour the mix out of your blender into muffin tins or ramekins and refrigerate for an hour to cool and set. Top with more nuts (if using).
- Then raid the fridge anytime you feel like a guilt-free treat!
Thanks, Dave! xox